Monday, December 31, 2007

Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland


I just got to bring my stereo into my "computer area" due to a reconfiguration of the family room, so I hooked up my old turntable and listened to some vinyl LP's just for kicks. From time to time I'll bring you a "review" of one side of an album that is simply outstanding.
The other night I found that on Jimi Hendrix's Electric Ladyland album.

Check out this 23 or so minutes of music:




Side Four:
Still Raining Still Dreaming
House Burning Down
All Along the Watchtower
Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)

You may not know Still Raining Still Dreaming by name, but you have probably heard some of the guitar parts. (I think Van Halen uses some of it somewhere, I can't remember if it's on an album or I saw them do it in concert and it stuck in my head). Anyhow, it's a great song that hasn't been worn to the nub by FM radio (unlike Crosstown Traffic, Fire, Foxy Lady, Purple Haze, Wind Cries Mary, Manic Depression and Hey Joe). House Burning down is a song you probably don't know unless you're a Hendrix fan. Very listenable song with some cool phase and speaker fade effects. All Along the Watchtower is revitalized on vinyl, sitting next to the other Hendrix songs instead of coming out of some cheesey FM commercial break and then of course the Slight Return of Voodoo Chile, which I think is one of the great songs of all time. Wow this is a great 23 minutes of music, especially on good crisp vinyl.

The rest of the album is great, but that last side is a masterpiece.
Side 1
And The Gods Made Love 1:23 Have You Ever Been (To Electric Ladyland) 2:10 Crosstown Traffic 2:26 Voodoo Chile 14:59
Side 2
Little Miss Strange 2:51 Long Hot Summer Night 3:26 Come On (Let The Good Times Roll) 4:08 Gypsy Eyes 3:42 Burning Of The Midnight Lamp 3:38
Side 3
Rainy Day, Dream Away 3:42 1983... (A Merman I Should Turn To Be) 13:39 Moon, Turn The Tides...Gently Gently Away

No comments: