Thursday, December 20, 2007

Schilling Calls Out Clemens on Steroids

I'm a lifelong Boston Red Sox fan, and before he went to the Yankees I was a big Roget Clemens fan. Though I often think that Curt Schilling is too whiny and mouthy, I respect his accomplishments and will always be a fan for his role in bringing the Red Sox a World Championship (and now two World Championships!). I should add here that I thought it was great that the Yankees paid Clemens such a boatload of money last year to have him be mediocre at best.

Anyhow, the news today reports that on his blog, Schilling says that Clemens should either prove he wasn't on steroids or should give back several of his Cy Young Awards.

"If he doesn't do that then there aren't many options as a fan for me other than to believe his career 192 wins and three Cy Youngs he won prior to 1997 were the end," Schilling wrote Wednesday in his blog, 38pitches.com. "From that point on the numbers were attained through using (performance-enhancing drugs). Just like I stated about Jose (Canseco), if that is the case with Roger, the four Cy Youngs should go to the rightful winners, and the numbers should go away if he cannot refute the accusations."

I know that we're innocent until proven guilty in this country and it must be awful to be accused of something you didn't do, but Clemens had become sort of mediocre in his last couple of years with Boston. Ok, the mediocre team didn't help there, but there was a huge turnaround for him, and the Mitchell report does name him...

No comments: