Tuesday, January 15, 2008

14 Great Football Movies

Entertainment Weekly just came out with a list of 14 great football movies.
Here it is:

14 Hollywood Gridiron Greats

14. WILDCATS (1986)
13. THE LONGEST YARD (1974)
12. REMEMBER THE TITANS (2000)
11. ANY GIVEN SUNDAY (1999)
10. HORSE FEATHERS (1932)
9. NORTH DALLAS FORTY (1979)
8. THE WATERBOY (1998)
7. BRIAN'S SONG (1971)
6. DINER (1982)
5. LITTLE GIANTS (1994)
4. PLAYMAKERS (2003)
3. JERRY MAGUIRE (1996)
2. RUDY (1993)
1. FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS (2005-?)

Yes, they included two television series, (Friday Night Lights and Playmakers).

Diner? Are you kidding me? How about, if you're going to include a pet movie that mentions football, including Napoleon Dynamite? Or Scent of a Woman? I think the kid played football in that one. Sheesh.

Or better, stick to movies about football. Here's one they missed that was hilarious.
The Best of Times (1986) starring Robin Williams and Kurt Russell
It spawned the classic line
"Are you a pissant or are you a Rocket?"

Another great exchange from the film:
Jack Dundee: Elly, I have a new move for you.
Elly Dundee: Oh? Show me.
Jack Dundee: It's part Smokey Robinson, Part Gladys Knight, but it's all me.
[Spins while undressing]
Jack Dundee: Jack....Aquarius...gotta gotta gotta gotta, satisfy.
Elly Dundee: Sort of a white 'Pip', I love it.

Though my wife has made me swear off all movies involving Tom Cruise because of his freakish ways, how about All the Right Moves from 1983 starring a very young Tom Cruise and Craig T. Nelson. I haven't seen it in over 20 years, but it was strong on football, unlike Diner. Diner? Sheesh.

No comments: