* 3 cups oil for frying
* 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon white sugar
* 1 egg, lightly beaten
* 1/2 cup milk
* 1 tablespoon shortening, melted
* 1 (12 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1. Heat oil in a heavy pot or deep fryer to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C).
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Beat together egg, milk, and melted shortening; stir into flour mixture. Mix in the corn kernels.
3. Drop fritter batter by spoonfuls into the hot oil, and fry until golden. Drain on paper towels.