Thursday, January 10, 2008

Linux: Monitoring Tools

I've been looking for a way to monitor a few dozen Linux servers lately, and there just doesn't seem to be a nice integrated tool to do it. In particular, I am looking for something that:

  • Pulls various SNMP data from a list of Linux server
  • Stores said data for a user-specifiable amount of time
  • Generates useful graphs of said data
  • Sends emails out when said data exceeds certain thresholds
  • Provides a decent web interface for controlling everything
  • Runs under Linux
Maybe I'm just blind, but there doesn't seem to be anything that can do all of the above. I can accomplish some of it using mon, for example, but then I don't have a decent web interface, data retrieval/storage, or graphing. I can use Cacti, but then I don't have good alerting or data storage (RRD files are "lossy"). I would write my own, but then I lose the nice user interface.

Undoubtedly, someone will eventually come out with the complete package that satisfies my every desire. Once that happens, I'll just be one step away from having everything I ever wanted from Linux, with better cluster administration tools being my last hurdle.

No comments: