I'm a fan of the naturist or nudist lifestyle and am researching places to go stay on vacation. I was looking into some naturist resorts and thought I might post a partial list of places in the U.S. that have nude beaches. I wish as a nation we were less uptight and this list were longer, but here's what I found.
* Baker Beach is a beach of the National Park Service in San Francisco. The north end of the beach (closest to the Golden Gate bridge) is officially sanctioned as clothing-optional. It provides spectacular views of the Golden Gate and Marin County.
* Black's Beach, in La Jolla, a neighborhood of San Diego, is possibly the largest de facto clothing optional beach in the United States. Part of the beach is in a state park where it is legal to be nude, the rest is on city property where it is illegal to be nude but generally tolerated. San Onofre Beach is 55 kilometres (34 miles) northwest of this beach (near San Clemente).
* Marina Beach State Park (South side) 15 minute drive north of Monterey, CA. 15 minute hike over the sand dunes.
* Bonny Doon Beach* About a 10-15 minute drive from Santa Cruz on N. Highway 1. Across from Bonny Doon Rd. Nude beach is down the cliff - there are two sections of beach - the south end is for clothed beachgoers, and the north end, divided from the main beach by a large rock, is for nude sunbathers.
* College Cove Beach is in the town of Trinidad, north of Eureka in Northern Humboldt County.
* Deep Creek Hot Springs Clothing optional hot spring in the San Bernardino National Forest near Apple Valley, California
* Garrapata State Park — Clothing optional beach 15 minutes drive south of Carmel.
* Devil's Slide or Gray Whale Cove is the only officially-sanctioned nude state-owned beach in California. Run for years by a private concessionaire who provided the only access to this remote beach, the State of California took over its operation in 2001.
* Keough Hot Springs - Hot running creek with pools located near Bishop, California. Note: the resort at the end of the road is not clothing optional.
* Laguna Creek Beach — Public beach frequented by nude sunbathers six miles north of Santa Cruz on Highway 1.
* Laguna Del Sol — Clothing optional resort in Wilton, near Sacramento, featuring camping and RV spots, a lake, heated swimming pools, spas, walking tracks, stores, restaurant and event center.
* Land’s End — Within the Golden Gate National Recreation Area, Land’s End beach is considered the most beautiful nude beach in the San Francisco area. It is reached only by a steep, difficult trail.
* Harbin Hot Springs is a retreat and workshop center 93.4 miles (150.3 km) northeast of the San Francisco Bay Area, north of the Napa Valley, near Middletown, California.
* Living Waters Spa near Palm Springs in Desert Hot Springs, CA, this swimsuit optional spa has hot spring water pools and the spa is an easy introduction to social nudity.
* Lupin Lodge* Naturist resort in Los Gatos, CA. Memberships available as well as day/night passes. Camping available. Just south of Silicon Valley, off Highway 17 (Idylwild Rd. exit).
* Pirates Cove near San Luis Obispo, California
* Red Rock Beach in Stinson Beach, California
* Saline Valley Warm Springs — Hot springs in Death Valley National Park
* San Gregorio nude beach might be the oldest continuously active nude beach in the United States. It dates to 1967 and is 3 km (2 miles) of public beach which can be reached only by a private road near the town of San Gregorio on the San Mateo County coast, south of San Francisco. San Gregorio beach is the largest of about 20 clothing-optional beaches along the coast between San Francisco and Santa Cruz.
* The Terra Cotta Inn Clothing Optional Resort in sunny Palm Springs, CA, this nudist resort is popular with first-time nude sunbathers.
* Zmudowski State Beach - Unofficial clothing-optional "hidden beach" within Moss Landing.
* Mountain Air Ranch Family Nudist Resort, a family nudist resort near Denver, Colorado.
* Solair Recreation League is New England´s oldest nudist camp and has a lake with a beach of its own deep in the woods of Connecticut. Motto: "For the young - and young at heart". The camp is located at 65 Ide Perrin Road, Woodstock, CT 06281.
* Haulover Beach, in Miami-Dade County (between Sunny Isles Beach, Florida, and Bal Harbour), the most popular nude beach in North America.
* Playalinda Beach, part of Canaveral National Seashore; has long allowed nudity.
* Bathtub Reef in Hutchinson Island in Stuart, Florida allows nudity.
* Donkey Beach on Kauai
* Kehena Beach (Dolphin Beach) is a black sand beach in the Puna District of the Island of Hawaii (Big Island)
* Larsen's Beach on Kauai
* Little Mākena Beach in Mākena State Park, Maui
* Red Sand Beach near Hāna on Maui
* Secret Beach on Kauai
* Slaughterhouse Beach on Maui
* Nude sunbathing and swimming has occurred at Illinois Beach State Park, 1.6 km (one mile) south of the park headquarters building, at the end of the beach.
* Until 1995, nude night swimming occurred at Oak Street Beach in Chicago and other beaches on Lake Michigan. About 1995, police patrols eliminated it.
* Drakes Ridge Rustic Nudist Retreat in Bennington, IN is a rural, wooded setting in the hills of Switzerland County, Indiana, midway between the three major cities of Louisville, Indianapolis, and Cincinnati, and thirteen miles north of Vevay, Indiana.
* Fern Hill Club in Bloomington, IN Fern Hills Club is in the center of about 75 acres of hardwood forest that the members enjoy by walking the trails or using their golf carts.
* Lake O' Woods Club in Valparaiso, IN Lake O' The Woods Club is a member owned, family oriented, cooperative nudist club that was founded in 1933 and is located on 130 acres of woods and features a 20 acre lake.
* Ponderosa Sun Club in Roselawn, IN The purpose of this club is to promote health and happiness for its members. The Ponderosa Sun Club is a family oriented nudist resort (not clothing optional) located in rural Roselawn Indiana on about 88 wooded acres. Ponderosa Sun Club opened in 1965, the focus of the club's activities is their 65' wide by 120' long swimming pool with concrete sunning apron and a formal garden.
* Sunshower Country Cub in Centerville, IN Sunshower Country Club is a family nudist resort established in 1959.
* Sunny Haven Recreation Park in Granger, IN Sunny Haven Recreation Park, located near South Bend, Indiana, has been the home to family nude recreation in northern Indiana since 1947.
Warm Springs in Boise, Idaho, is a clothing-optional neighborhood.
* The Naturist Society is affiliated with Lake Edun in Topeka and Prairie Haven in Scranton.
* The American Association for Nude Recreation is associated with the Sandy Lane Club in Hutchinson.
* Camp Ramblewood in Darlington is available for groups wishing to host clothing-optional events.
* Pine Tree Associates in Crownsville, founded in 1934, is a cooperatively-owned, nudist club.
* Privacy Campground in Hancock contains a nude sunbathing area and permits skinny dipping.
* Miacomet Beach in Nantucket contains a nude sunbathing area and permits skinny dipping.
* Sunshine Gardens is a family-owned nudist resort on 140 acres in Battle Creek.
* Turtle Lake Resort in Union City.
The Oakwood Club and Avatan Nudist club (both affiliated with the American Association for Nude Recreation (AANR) function and hold land for recreation in the northern suburbs of Minneapolis and Saint Paul. Both are private clubs. Several other landless clubs operate in the region.
* The American Association for Nude Recreation is associated with the nudity-required Forty Acre Club in Londell, Missouri.
* The Naturist Society is affiliated with Heartland Naturists near Kansas City and Show Me Acres in Stover
* Lake Tahoe's Nevada shore includes several clothing-optional beaches — the best-known is Secret Cove.
* Rock Lodge Club is a family-oriented nudist club on 60 ha (145 acres) of privately-owned land in the Highlands forests of New Jersey, about 65 km (40 miles) from Manhattan, New York.
* Gunnison Beach in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, a part of the National Park Service's multi-state Gateway National Recreation Area, is a clothing-optional beach by custom and is the largest such beach in the Northeastern United States (there are several other public beaches on Sandy Hook where nudity is not tolerated). In 1999, New Jersey passed a law a bill that prohibits all types of nudism on state or municipal beaches, making Gunnison Beach the only legal nude beach in the state, since it is on federal land not subject to state or municipal regulations.
* Sky Farm Club is a private cooperative nestled in the hills of central New Jersey, and is America's first and finest naturist community for families and couples. Situated on 35 beautiful acres in Somerset County, Sky Farm have promoted family nudism since 1932.
* Lighthouse Beach, Fire Island National Seashore, NY, a part of the National Park Service is just east of Robert Moses State Park on the barrier island known as Fire Island separating the main part of Long Island from Fire Island with the Great South Bay between them. Clothing-optional by custom, this beach has been so for over 30 years.
* Rooster Rock State Park along the Columbia River.
* Collins Beach on Sauvie Island near Portland.
* Bare Lake in Southern Oregon near Howard Prarie Lake.
* Breitenbush Hot Springs has a clothing-optional policy for all hot springs pools and tubs.
* Buckeye Bares is an Ohio family nudist group. Members, guests and visitors are always welcome to enjoy the friendship and fun that only nude recreation can offer. .
* Buckeye Naturists, The - A non-landed, family-oriented social nudist club in Columbus, Ohio.
* Many city parks in Columbus, Ohio allow both sexes to go topless.
* White Thorn Lodge in Western Pennsylvania
* Hippie Hollow Clothing-Optional Nudist Park, on the shore of Lake Travis northwest of Austin.
* Abbotts Glen in Halifax.
* The Ledges, on the Harriman Reservoir in Wilmington.
* Starr Farm Beach in Burlington.
* Mazo Beach on the Wisconsin River.