Thursday, February 7, 2008

St. Anthony of Padua Patron Saint of the Poor

Also known as
Evangelical Doctor
Memorial
13 June
Profile
Anthony's wealthy family wanted him to be a great nobleman, but for the sake of Christ he became a poor Franciscan. Priest.

When the remains of Saint Berard and his companions, the first Franciscan martyrs, were brought to be buried in his church, Anthony was moved to leave his order, enter the Friars Minor, and go to Morocco to evangelize. Shipwrecked at Sicily, he joined some other brothers who were going to Portiuncula. Lived in a cave at San Paolo leaving only to attend Mass and sweep the nearby monastery. One day when a scheduled speaker failed to appear, the brothers pressed him into speaking. He impressed them so that he was thereafter constantly travelling, evangelizing, preaching, and teaching theology through Italy and France.

A gifted speaker, he attracted crowds everywhere he went, speaking in multiple tongues; legend says that even the fish loved to listen. Wonder worker. One of the most beloved of saints, his images and statues are found everywhere. Proclaimed a Doctor of the Church on 16 January 1946.
Born
1195 at Lisbon, Portugal
Died
13 June 1231
Canonized
30 May 1232 by Pope Gregory IX at Spoleto, Italy
Name Meaning
inestimable
Patronage
patron saint against shipwrecks; patron saint against starvation; patron saint against starving; patron saint of American Indians; patron saint of amputees; patron saint of animals; patron saint of Anzio, Italy; patron saint of asses; patron saint of barrenness; patron saint of boatmen; patron saint of Brazil; patron saint of diocese of Beaumont, Texas; patron saint of domestic animals; patron saint of Dorado, Puerto Rico; patron saint of elderly people; patron saint of expectant mothers; patron saint of faith in the Blessed Sacrament; Ferrazzano, Italy; fishermen; harvests; horses; Lisbon, Portugal; lost articles; lower animals; mail; mariners; diocese of Masbate, Philippines; oppressed people; Padua, Italy; paupers; patron saint of poor people; Portugal; pregnant women; patron saint of sailors; Sandia Indian Pueblo; seekers of lost articles; patron saint of shipwrecks; starvation; patron saint of starving people; patron saint of sterility; swineherds; Tigua Indians; travel hostesses; travellers; patron saint of watermen
Representation
book; bread; Infant Jesus; lily


Prayer to Saint Anthony, Zealous for Justice

Dear Saint Anthony, you were prompt to fulfill all justice. You gave God and His creation the service He required from you. You respected other people's rights and treated them with kindness and understanding. Saint Anthony, Zealous for Justice, teach me the beauty of this virtue. Make me prompt to fulfill all justice toward God and toward all creation. Help me also in my pressing needs. [name them]

Prayer to Saint Anthony the Wonder-Worker

Saint Anthony, you are glorious for your miracles and for the condescension of Jesus who came as a little child to lie in your arms. Obtain for me from His bounty the grace which I ardently desire. You were so compassionate toward sinners, do not regard my unworthiness. Let the glory of God be magnified by you in connection with the particular request that I earnestly present to you. {mention your petition}

As a pledge of my gratitude, I promise to live more faithfully in accordance with the teachings of the church, and to be devoted to the service of the poor whom you loved and still love so greatly. Bless this resolution of min that I may be faithful to it until death.

Saint Anthony, consoler of all the afflicted, pray for me.

Saint Anthony, helper of all who invoke you, pray for me.

Saint Anthony, whom the Infant Jesus loved and honored so much, pray for me. Amen.

Prayer to Saint Anthony of Padua, Reviver of the Dead

Dear Saint Anthony, I believe in the resurrection of the body. I have Christ's solemn pledge that whoever believes in Him, though he should die, shall live again. Saint Anthony, Reviver of the Dead, through your mighty prayers life was restored to the dead. Confirm my faith in the resurrection. Make me a confident Christian who expects a glorious Easter beyond the grave. Please take my need to God in prayer. [name your special intentions]

Prayer to Saint Anthony of Padua, Restorer of Speech to the Mute

Dear Saint Anthony, how tongue-tied I can be when I should be praising God and defending the oppressed. My cowardice often strikes me dumb; I am afraid t o open my mouth. Saint Anthony, Restorer of Speech to the Mute, release me from my fears. Teach me to praise God and to champion the rights of those unjustly treated. Please remember also all my intentions. [name them]

Prayer to Saint Anthony of Padua, Restorer of Sight to the Blind

Dear Saint Anthony, you recall the Gospel episode about the blind man who, partly healed, could see men "looking like walking trees." After a second laying-on of Jesus's hands, he could see perfectly. Saint Anthony, Restorer of Sight to the Blind, please sharpen my spiritual vision. May I see people, not as trees or numbers, but as sons and daughters of the Most High. Help me in my pressing needs. [name your special intentions]

Prayer to Saint Anthony of Padua, Performer of Miracles

Dear Saint Anthony, your prayers obtained miracles during your lifetime. You still seem to move at ease in the realm of minor and major miracles. Saint Anthony, Performer of Miracles, please obtain for me the blessings God holds in reserve who serve Him. Pray that I may be worthy of the promises my Lord Jesus attaches to confident prayer. [mention your special intentions]

Prayer to Saint Anthony of Padua

Dear Saint Anthony, you are the patron of the poor and the helper of all who seek lost articles. Help me to find the object I have lost so that I will be able to make better use of the time I will gain for God's greater honor and glory. Grant your gracious aid to all people who seek what they have lost - especially those who seek to regain God's grace. Amen.

Prayer to Saint Anthony of Padua Seeker of Lost articles

Dear Saint Anthony, you are the patron of the poor and the helper of all who seek lost articles. Help me to find the object I have lost so that I will be able to make better use of the time I will gain for God's greater honor and glory. Grant your gracious aid to all people who seek what they have lost - especially those who seek to regain God's grace. Amen.

Prayer to Saint Anthony of Padua, Model of Perfection

Dear Saint Anthony, you took the words of Jesus seriously, "Be perfect, even as your heavenly Father is perfect." The Church honors you as a Christian hero, a man wholly dedicated to God's glory and the good of the redeemed. Saint Anthony, Model of Perfection, ask Jesus to strengthen my good dispositions and to make me more like you, more like Him. Obtain for me the other favors I need. [name them]

Prayer to Saint Anthony of Padua, Generator of Charity

Dear Saint Anthony, God wants us to see Christ, our brother, in everyone and love Him truly in word and in deed. God wills that we share with others the joy of His boundless love. Saint Anthony, Generator of Charity, remember me in the Father's presence, that I may be generous in sharing the joy of His love. Remember also the special intentions I now entrust to you. [name them]

Prayer to Saint Anthony of Padua, Disperser of Devils

Dear Saint Anthony, it is still as Saint Peter said: The devil prowls about, lion-like, looking for someone to devour. I confess that I don't always resist him; I sometimes toy with temptation. Saint Anthony, Disperser of Devils, remind me of my duty to avoid all occasions of sin. May I always pray in temptation that I may remain loyal to my Lord Jesus. Pray for my other intentions, please. [name them]

No comments: