1. 1/4 cup lemon juice
2. 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3. 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
4. 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
5. Freshly ground pepper to taste
6. 1 pound top round steak, 1 1/2 inches thick, trimmed
7. 4 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
8. 1 medium cucumber, diced
9. 1 large tomato, diced
10. 8 small (4 inch) whole-wheat pitas, split open
1. Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
2. Whisk lemon juice, oil, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Place steak in a shallow dish and pour half the dressing over it. Let marinate at room temperature, turning once, for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the salad by adding lettuce, cucumber and tomato to the remaining dressing in the bowl; toss to coat.
4. Transfer the meat to a broiling pan. Broil for 5 minutes on each side for medium-rare, or until it reaches desired doneness. Transfer to a cutting board, let rest for 3 minutes, then slice thinly against the grain. Mix the meat with the salad and fill each pita. Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings