Tuesday, March 13, 2012
Bringing Up Baby
Bringing Up Baby
Number 97 on the 1998 AFI List of the 100 Best American Films.
Number 88 on the 2007 AFI List of the 100 Best American Films.
Bringing Up Baby (1938) is an American screwball comedy film directed by Howard Hawks, starring Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant, and released by RKO Radio Pictures.
The movie tells the story of a paleontologist winding up in various predicaments involving a woman with a unique sense of logic and a leopard named "Baby". The supporting cast includes Charles Ruggles, Barry Fitzgerald, Walter Catlett, and May Robson.
* Katharine Hepburn as Susan Vance
* Cary Grant as Dr. David Huxley (alias Mr. Bone)
* Charles Ruggles as Maj. Horace Applegate, a big game hunter
* Walter Catlett as Constable Slocum
* Barry Fitzgerald as Aloysius Gogarty, a gardener
* May Robson as Elizabeth Random, Susan's aunt
* Fritz Feld as Dr. Fritz Lehman
* Leona Roberts as Mrs. Hannah Gogarty, wife of Aloysius
* George Irving as Dr. Alexander Peabody, Mrs. Random's lawyer
* Tala Birell as Mrs. Lehman
* Virginia Walker as Alice Swallow, David's fiancée
* John Kelly as Elmer
* Asta as George, a dog
* Nissa the leopard, as both of the leopards
* Ward Bond as Motorcycle cop at jail (uncredited)
* Jack Carson as Circus roustabout (uncredited)
In 1990, Bringing Up Baby was selected for preservation in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant", the second year that the registry started preserving films. Entertainment Weekly voted the film number twenty-four on its list of the greatest films. In 2000, readers of Total Film magazine voted it the forty-seventh greatest comedy film of all time. It is also consistently on the Internet Movie Database's list of top 250 films.
Premiere ranked Cary Grant's performance as Dr. David Huxley #68 on their list of The 100 Greatest Performances of All Time. They also ranked the character of Susan Vance #21 on their list of The 100 Greatest Movie Characters of All Time.