Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Doomsday Preppers

I have been prepping for the end of our civilization for a long time. Now, I don't mean that I have thousands of pounds of food in the basement, but I do have mad survival skills and a lot of pent up rage ammunition confidence that I will be fine if and when the end comes.

I don't think we're due for a magnetic pole shift, nor do I think that an economic collapse will (immediately) cause the sort of widespread civil unrest and rioting that many predict. I do think it's realistic that we will run out of oil during my lifetime, and I believe that unless people get the pole out of their ass about nuclear power and also start getting serious about vehicles that burn something besides gasoline, we'll be up that famous creek without a paddle.

Well, it turns out that there are a whole lot of people who really ARE preparing for one (or all) of these scenarios, and the National Geographic channel is willing to exploit feature them on television. Many of these people are pretty kick-ass, and they have adopted this crazy "Prepper" lifestyle which I think is great. Some people are bikers, some people are swingers, some people are furries, these people are Preppers- it's a lifestyle, I get it and can totally respect that.

I like the show in that it doesn't paint these people as crazy or sad- this is what they believe in, don't make fun of them for ratings. I mention this because NatGeo has another show called Taboo or something like that which clearly DOES frame the people as "out there" or crazy.

Anyhow, some tips about being prepared from the good people at NatGeo.

8 comments:

Tony Van Helsing said...

When the end of civilisation comes I'll be wearing leather bondage gear and driving a car covered in spikes.

crowbloke said...

i always find it curious that these people dont class themselves as society. i know people like this btw.

L-Diggitty said...

Wow... I know people like this (*cough cough* my in-laws *cough cough*).

meandmythinkingcap said...

I learnt that At&T had built some underground buildings just to address this issue.

Jéanne said...

I saw an episode of Penn & Teller's Bullshit about this very thing! I laughed like a mad hyena! Was that mean of me?! :)

JDC said...

Sky is falling, DOOM DOOOOOOOOOMM I say

Electric Addict said...

wow that was super interesting! I should be more like that guy. be prepared!

Leon Kennedy said...

don't forget about the zombies.