Friday, April 13, 2012
American Graffiti (Collector's Edition)
#77 (1998) and #62 (2007) on the AFI List of 100 Best American Films
American Graffiti is a 1973 coming of age film co-written/directed by George Lucas starring Richard Dreyfuss, Ron Howard, Paul Le Mat, Charles Martin Smith, Cindy Williams, Candy Clark, Mackenzie Phillips and Harrison Ford. Set in 1962 Modesto, California, American Graffiti is a study of the cruising and rock and roll cultures popular among the post–World War II baby boom generation. The film is a nostalgic portrait of teenage life in the early 1960s told in a series of vignettes, featuring the story of a group of teenagers and their adventures within one night.
The genesis of American Graffiti was in Lucas's own teenage years in early 1960s Modesto. He was unsuccessful in pitching the concept to financiers and distributors but finally found favor at Universal Pictures after United Artists, 20th Century Fox, Columbia Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, and Paramount Pictures turned him down. Filming was initially set to take place in San Rafael, California, but the production crew was denied permission to shoot beyond a second day. As a result, most filming for American Graffiti was done in Petaluma.
American Graffiti was released to universal critical acclaim and financial success, and was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture. Produced on a $775,000 budget, the film has turned out to be one of the most profitable movies of all time. Since its initial release, American Graffiti has garnered an estimated return of well over $200 million in box office gross and home video sales, not including merchandising. In 1995, the United States Library of Congress deemed the film "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" and selected it for preservation in the National Film Registry.
* Richard Dreyfuss as Curt Henderson
* Ron Howard as Steve Bolander
* Paul Le Mat as John Milner
* Charles Martin Smith as Terry "The Toad" Fields
* Cindy Williams as Laurie Henderson
* Candy Clark as Debbie Dunham
* Mackenzie Phillips as Carol Morrison
* Harrison Ford as Bob Falfa
* Bo Hopkins as Joe Young
* Wolfman Jack as himself, an XERB Disc Jockey
* Kathleen Quinlan as Peg
* Manuel Padilla, Jr. and Beau Gentry as Carlos and Ants
* Jim Bohan as Officer Holstein
* Jana Bellan as Budda
* Flash Cadillac & the Continental Kids as Herbie and the Heartbeats
* Suzanne Somers as Blonde in T-Bird
* Deby Celiz as Wendy
* Lynne Marie Stewart as Bobbie Tucker