Sunday, April 15, 2012
In the Heat of the Night
In the Heat of the Night (40th Anniversary Collector's Edition)
#75 on the 2007 AFI List of the Best 100 American Movies.
In the Heat of the Night is a 1967 mystery film based on the John Ball novel of the same name published in 1965, which tells the story of a black police detective from Philadelphia who becomes involved in a murder investigation in a racist small town in Mississippi. The film won five Academy Awards, including Best Picture. It starred Sidney Poitier, Rod Steiger, and Warren Oates, and was directed by Norman Jewison.
The film was followed by two sequels, They Call Me MISTER Tibbs! in 1970, and The Organization in 1971. It also became the basis of a television series entitled In the Heat of the Night, starring Carroll O'Connor, Howard Rollins, Alan Autry, David Hart, Anne-Marie Johnson, and Hugh O'Connor.
Although the film was set in the fictional Mississippi town of Sparta (with supposedly no connection to the real Sparta, Mississippi, an unincorporated community), part of the movie was filmed in Sparta, Illinois, where many of the film's landmarks can still be seen. The quote "They call me Mister Tibbs!" was listed as #16 on the American Film Institute's 100 Years...100 Movie Quotes, a list of top film quotes.
* Sidney Poitier as Detective Virgil Tibbs
* Rod Steiger as Police Chief Bill Gillespie
* Warren Oates as Sergeant (Patrolman) Sam Wood
* Lee Grant as Mrs. Leslie Colbert
* Larry Gates as Eric Endicott
* James Patterson as Lloyd Purdy (Delores' brother)
* William Schallert as Mayor Webb Schubert
* Beah Richards as Mama Caleba (aka Mrs. Bellamy)
* Peter Whitney as CPL. George Courtney
* Kermit Murdock as H.E. Henderson (banker)
* Larry D. Mann as Watkins
* Quentin Dean as Delores Purdy
* Anthony James as Ralph Henshaw (diner counterman)
* Arthur Malet as Ted Ulam (mortician)
* Scott Wilson as Harvey Oberst (murder suspect)
* Matt Clark as Packy Harrison
* Eldon Quick as Charlie Hawthorne (photographer)
* Jester Hairston as Henry (Endicott's butler)