Saturday, April 21, 2012
Saving Private Ryan
Saving Private Ryan (Single-Disc Special Limited Edition)
#71 on the 2007 AFI Top 100 American Movies List.
Saving Private Ryan is a 1998 American epic war film set during the invasion of Normandy in World War II. It was directed by Steven Spielberg and written by Robert Rodat. Noted for its graphic and realistic portrayal of war, the film is especially notable for the intensity of its opening 27 minutes, which depicts the Omaha Beach assault of June 6, 1944. Afterwards, it follows Tom Hanks as U.S. Army Captain John H. Miller and seven other men (Tom Sizemore, Edward Burns, Barry Pepper, Vin Diesel, Giovanni Ribisi, Adam Goldberg, and Jeremy Davies) as they search for a paratrooper, Private First Class James Francis Ryan (Matt Damon), who is the last-surviving brother of four servicemen.
Rodat conceived the film's story in 1994 when he saw a monument dedicated to eight siblings killed in the American Civil War. Rodat imagined a similar sibling narrative set in World War II. The script was submitted to producer Mark Gordon, who handed it to Hanks. It was finally given to Spielberg, who decided to direct. The film's premise is loosely based on the real-life case of the Niland brothers.
Saving Private Ryan was well received by audiences and garnered considerable critical acclaim, winning several awards for film, cast, and crew as well as earning significant returns at the box office. The film grossed US$481.8 million worldwide, making it the highest-grossing domestic film of the year. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences nominated the film for eleven Academy Awards; Spielberg's direction won him a second Academy Award for Best Director. Saving Private Ryan was released on home video in May 1999, earning $44 million from sales.
* Tom Hanks as Captain John H. Miller
* Tom Sizemore as Technical Sergeant Mike Horvath
* Edward Burns as Private First Class Richard Reiben, an automatic rifleman
* Barry Pepper as Private Daniel Jackson, a sniper
* Adam Goldberg as Private Stanley "Fish" Mellish, a rifleman
* Vin Diesel as Private First Class Adrian Caparzo, a rifleman
* Giovanni Ribisi as Technician Fourth Grade Irwin Wade, a medic
* Jeremy Davies as Technician Fifth Grade Timothy E. Upham, a cartographer
* Matt Damon as Private First Class James Francis Ryan, a paratrooper
* Ted Danson as Captain Fred Hamill, a pathfinder
* Paul Giamatti as Staff Sergeant William Hill, a paratrooper
* Dennis Farina as Lieutenant Colonel Walter Anderson
* Harrison Young as James Francis Ryan, present day
* Harve Presnell as General George C. Marshall, Chief of Staff of the United States Army
* Leland Orser as Second Lieutenant DeWindt, pilot of a crashed glider
* Bryan Cranston as Colonel I. W. Bryce, an officer at the War Department
* Dale Dye as an officer at the War Department
* Nathan Fillion as Private James Frederick Ryan
* Max Martini as Corporal Fred Henderson, ranking NCO paratrooper at Ramelle
* Demetri Goritsas as Private Parker, a paratrooper
* Joerg Stadler as "Steamboat Willie", a German soldier