Monday, April 9, 2012
The Wild Bunch
The Wild Bunch - The Original Director's Cut (Two-Disc Special Edition)
#80 (1998) and #79 (2007) on the AFI List of 100 best American Movies
The Wild Bunch is a 1969 American Western film directed by Sam Peckinpah about an aging outlaw gang on the Texas-Mexico border, trying to exist in the changing "modern" world of 1913. The film was controversial because of its graphic violence and its portrayal of crude men attempting to survive by any available means.
It stars William Holden, Robert Ryan, Ernest Borgnine, Ben Johnson and Warren Oates. The screenplay was by Peckinpah and Walon Green.
The Wild Bunch is noted for intricate, multi-angle editing, using normal and slow motion images, a revolutionary cinema technique in 1969. The writing of Green, Peckinpah, and Roy N. Sickner was nominated for a best-screenplay Academy Award; Jerry Fielding's music was nominated for Best Original Score; Peckinpah was nominated for an Outstanding Directorial Achievement award by the Directors Guild of America; and cinematographer Lucien Ballard won the National Society of Film Critics Award for Best Cinematography.
In 1999, the U.S. National Film Registry selected it for preservation in the Library of Congress as culturally, historically, and aesthetically significant. The film was ranked 80th in the American Film Institute's 100 best American films, and the 69th most thrilling film. In 2008, the AFI revealed its "10 Top 10" of the best ten films in ten genres: The Wild Bunch ranked as the sixth-best Western.
* William Holden as Pike Bishop
* Ernest Borgnine as Dutch Engstrom
* Robert Ryan as Deke Thornton
* Edmond O'Brien as Freddie Sykes
* Warren Oates as Lyle Gorch
* Jaime Sánchez as Angel
* Ben Johnson as Tector Gorch
* Emilio Fernández as General Mapache
* Strother Martin as Coffer
* L. Q. Jones as T.C.
* Albert Dekker as Pat Harrigan
* Bo Hopkins as Clarence 'Crazy' Lee
* Jorge Russek as Major Zamorra
* Alfonso Arau as Lieutenant Herrera
* Dub Taylor as Preacher
* Rayford Barnes as Buck
* Paul Harper as Ross
* Chano Urueta as Don José
* Elsa Cárdenas as Elsa
* Bill Hart as Jess
* Stephen Ferry as Sergeant McHale
* Fernando Wagner as Commander Mohr
* Jorge Rado as Ernst
* Aurora Clavel as Aurora